Sunday, November 06, 2005

CBS Commentator States Negro Is A Perfectly Good Word

Veteran CBS commentator Andy Rooney says he has a problem with the frequent use of the term "African-American" and suggests people use the word "Negro" instead to refer to blacks.
Andy Rooney
"I object every time I hear the words 'African-American,' you know?" Rooney told radio host Don Imus this morning. "The word 'Negro' is a perfectly good word. It's a strong word and a good word. I don't see anything wrong with that. Mostly it's not necessary to identify anyone by skin color. But I don't care for 'African-American.'" The remarks came as Rooney was appearing via telephone on Imus' show, which is simulcast on MSNBC. Imus had referenced a frequent guest, Rep. Harold Ford Jr., D-Tenn., and noted that Ford is African-American.

Rooney: "I object every time I hear the words 'African-American,' you know? I don't know why we have gotten caught with that."
Imus: "Yeah, I don't either."

Rooney: "I mean, am I an 'Irish-American?'"

Imus: "Yeah, I know what you mean. What should I say, just 'black' right?"

Rooney: "Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with 'black.'"

Imus: "I don't either."

Rooney: "Growing up, it's funny how words get to be opprobrious. The word 'Negro' is a perfectly good word. It's a strong word and a good word. I don't see anything wrong with that. Mostly it's not necessary to identify anyone by skin color. But I don't care for 'African-American.'"

Imus: "I won't use it anymore."
See the interview CLICK HERE